it is said that if you ask ten werewolves what a werewolf is, you will get eleven different answers

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Literature: The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice (2012)

It’s been quite a while since I last posted anything here due to the hustle and bustle of my daily life. In the blink of an eye, warm autumn weather has given way to the cold days of upcoming winter (at least in this part of the globe), so if the temperature outside your cozy homes is around or below zero degrees Celsius, I hope that you are and will continue to keep warm.

Click here to view Anne Rice's 
Wolf Gift on Amazon.
But enough introduction! Some two weeks ago, as I was going about my own business in a media store, my eyes were caught by a pyramid of books on whose covers I noticed the picture of a wolf and of course the word itself contained in the titles. And as we all know that’s enough to trigger my lycanthropological  curiosity. At first, I thought that it must have been another example of those novels that seem to have surfaced recently on the waves of the popularity of vampires that shall not be named, but still I couldn’t resist coming closer and examining it. And it’s a good thing I did, because when I saw who the author was, I put the book straight into my shopping basket. 

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Anne Rice, the author of Gothic vampire novels known as the Vampire Chronicles – which, among others, include the famous Interview With the Vampire – has come back with a brand-new novel, this time about werewolves! Will she manage to engage us once again, like she could in her works about vampires? Perhaps we are now witnessing the publication of what will become in the future a basis for the screenplay of a Hollywood movie, like in the case of the mentioned Interview... and The Queen of the Damned?
For me it is a return to Gothic motifs – old, dark houses, mysterious death, the promise of family secrets and a monster of supernatural powers as the protagonist – which I used in the "Vampire Chronicles" and "The Mayfair Witches". – Anne Rice
The back cover blurb of my Polish translation of the novel reads as follows (in my translation):
Cliffs overlooking the Pacific, a beautiful mansion against a sequoia forest backdrop. A young journalist gets an assignment – he is to write an article about the extraordinary mansion. A chance meeting of two people and an idyllic night is interrupted by a brutal attack. The man is bitten by a beast which he cannot even see in the darkness… Soon, he undergoes a terrifying, but also strangely appealing change. He is fascinated by his newly-acquired power, but also anxious. He finds love when he is least expecting it, but above all else, he tries to unravel the mystery which has changed his fate. Why and how was he given the wolf gift? The journalist embarks on a difficult journey full of temptations in order to discover his new, dual nature: of a man and a wolf.
So there you have it. I haven’t been able to read the book as of yet, because I have a lot of other reading at the moment, but when I do, I’ll make sure to drop a few lines about my impressions right here in this post. In the meantime, I hope I’ve managed to whet your appetite for this new piece of writing, so when you have a chance, drop by your nearest book store or order the title through the internet. Also, feel encouraged to visit Anne Rice’s official website at www.annerice.com

Since I am now part of Amazon’s Affiliate program, you can directly support me by purchasing a copy of your own of Wolf Gift from Amazon! Should my article spark your interest in the book – or should you want to read it yourself – please consider buying it using the link provided next to this message. Simply click on the cover of the book on the right-hand side and you will be sent to a page listing all the offers related to it! Thank you and enjoy!

Until next time, werewolf-lovers!

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment